Monday, January 2, 2017

The Journal Project #6: Georgia O'Keeffe Quote... 02.01.2017


“I’ve been absolutely terrified, and I’ve never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do” – Georgia O’Keeffe
 
I’ve been thinking about O’Keeffe’s quote quite a lot this past couple of weeks and have come to the conclusion that I would love to be more like O’Keeffe and simply not let anything hold me back from what I want to accomplish artistically.

I had been feeling uprooted and directionless in regards to my art since a well-meaning comment sent me reeling and made me sit down and seriously think about the direction that I had envisioned my art going in and if it is the “right” path for me. As it turns out, it was all a lot of worry over nothing (a particular specialty of mine) and with the help of my partner, we determined that, right now, I AM on the right track… and I walked away from our conversion with a couple of great suggestions on how I can push my work into new directions:

  1. Add more “chaos” to my “order”… I will admit that I love that I have control over my materials and designs… but, will concede that I probably should add more organic forms, more spontaneity.
  2. Pick one design element in my picture and add the color red – I love this suggestion. I had tried to incorporated color into my work before, but it had disastrous results… perhaps more experimentation with new materials are needed.
Stop thinking (and overthinking) so much and just PLAY.
The truth is: most of the time I AM terrified and I let things get to me and I allow myself to get overwhelmed with all the things needed to be done in order to be a successful artist… or at least, what my definition of that a successful artist is.
 
I WANT to be more like O’Keeffe. I WANT to be a strong artist.

So, the picture for Journal #6 will incorporate some of the new suggestions and, hopefully, will inspire yet another direction for my work:
 
 

Jenn White
White Rooster Studio

Copyright © 2017 White Rooster Studios. All Rights Reserved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment