Friday, August 26, 2016

Journal Project #4: King of Birds... 26.08.16

So, this is the 4th entry in the Journal Project and I am almost a week late posting. I have been re-thinking my original timeline that I had set for this project - creating and posting every two weeks - and suspect that the solution is to push the "due date" out to every three weeks.


I have been noticing that this project is more time-consuming that I had originally anticipated and I don't want to neglect my other projects or stress out about making a deadline, so the three week test will begin with #4.


Last week I was indulging in some REM at work and one of my favorite songs came up: King of Birds. There is something about that song that immediately makes me think of working in my college studio, especially the line about "standing on the shoulders of giants" - which fits into how I have been feeling since my visit to the Peabody Essex Museum a couple of weekends ago. While at the PEM, we saw the "American Impressionist: Childe Hassam and the Isles of Shoals" exhibit and I fell completely in love with Hassam's work, especially the Appledore Island paintings.

So I started thinking about artistic lineage and how each generation builds on the one before and how much we still have to learn about those artists who came before us. Admittedly, I am not familiar with Hassam or any of his work prior to this show, but I am very fascinated by what I saw and have added him to my list of artists to research. A very quick search revealed that Hassam was part of the art group The Ten - a group that I have heard about, but hadn't had a chance to look into yet, so here is my excuse to bump both Hassam and The Ten to the top of my list.

My original idea for Journal #4 was to see if I could take my existing style and make it look more "painterly"... it didn't come out as planned, but I see this as a possible evolution of my work and am planning on doing a series of tests to see if there is a way to develop this idea.




I am looking at the final result of this experiment as Phase 1 and will be working to evolve my work even further:


Jenn White
White Rooster Studio

No comments:

Post a Comment