Sunday, August 21, 2016

ArtistDate: PEM Visit - Rodin, Hassam and Agha... 21.08.16

There are a couple of "don't miss" art shows going on around New England right now and there are three of them at the Peabody Essex Museum located in East India Square in Salem, MA.

1) Rodin: Transforming Sculpture is on view only until September 5th, 2016. If you are a fan of Rodin's work and are in the area, please stop by and check it out. According to the PEM's website, the show was originally titled "Metamorphoses: In Rodin's Studio" and was put together with the help of the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, in collaboration with the Musée Rodin, Paris.

The show is a mix of plaster work, bronze castings and works in marble and has all of the works that you would expect to see in a Rodin exhibit: the Thinker, the Kiss, and three members of the Burghers of Calais grouping. I especially enjoyed viewing all three versions of his Balzac sculpture:



Camille Claudel's "Abandonment"


Another thrill, for me, was seeing Rodin's head of Camille Claudel and even one of Claudel's own work, "Abandonment":
Head of Camille Claudel




2) American Impressionist: Childe Hassam and the Isles of Shoals will be on view until November 6th and I will admit to not being very familiar with Hassam at all prior to seeing this show. Pretty much the only thing I did know what that he was an American Impressionist, but when I saw his work from the Isles of Shoals, I fell completely in love with them and the idea of creating art on an island and have added Hassam to my research list:



 
3) Intersections: Anila Quayyum Agha will be on view until October 16th and, as much as I was entranced with Hassam's show, this installation piece stole my imagination and has inspired me to push my own work to another level:
 
Jenn White
White Rooster Studio

  










No comments:

Post a Comment