Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Update: The I Ching Project… 22.1.2014

A New Year has begun and next week will usher in the Year of the Horse, which makes this the perfect time to review and see what the status of the I Ching Project is. As of 22 January, 2014:
30
Completed I Ching Paintings
8
Paintings in progress
4
May be re-worked or re-done
42
The project has hit the 65% mark!

The eight paintings that are in progress are in the final stage, so this means that there are only the four that I am considering re-working and 22 “new” paintings left to work on, which makes my goal of completing the I Ching Project by my birthday (the end of September) this year highly attainable.

When I began this project in April of 2013, I had absolutely no idea of where it would take me or even if the goal of completing a series of 64 mixed-media paintings was even feasible - thoughts of quickly running out of ideas immediately come to mind - but over the course of the past 8 months I have learned quite a lot about myself and have discovered that: I have no limitations IF I continue to believe in myself, my abilities and my project.

One of the most important goals that I had hoped to accomplish when I began this project was to overcome my persistent artist block, but ultimately it became about making art FUN again… to reclaim the joy of discovery, to lose myself once again in the studio, and to see just how far I could push an idea. ALL that and more has been accomplished over these past few months – and there is still so much more to do and experience.

Recently, I came across a quote by Lester Bangs that really hit home with me: “The first mistake of art is to assume that it’s serious.”The first reaction is to argue that art IS serious… and, yes, there are significant arguments that it is, but art CAN be fun, playful, exciting, joyous, passionate and life-altering.

So, ENJOY your art – and PLAY.

In my previous blog post: People's Choice Award and Works in Progress, I added several works in progress pics. I thought it would be interesting to see a couple of the "in progress" pics and the "completed" pics side-by-side:

#31 Attraction - in progress
#31 Attraction - completed
















#58 Truth - in progress

The pictures below are all recently completed mixed-media paintings:
#49 Revolution

#61 Serenity Within

#33 Retreat
I have just uploaded a new folder on the White Rooster Studios Facebook page, please check out the new designs and, please, feedback is encouraged and always welcome!!

Jenn White
White Rooster Studios







No comments:

Post a Comment